Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Facebook got boring...

So, I'm sitting at work and I've seen all there is to see on Facebook, so I decided to entertain myself with Blogger instead.

Last week was the ACTUAL start of my Newscast class. We started putting together news packages, weather forecasts, PSAs, readers... the elements that make up the actual newscast.

I was nervous. Really, really nervous. My production job was to be the floor manager in the studio. I have to repeat everything the director in the control room says, to everyone in the studio. Basically, I relay messages. I tell everyone when we're going on the air. Also, if the director wants the anchor to move over a couple inches, or to talk slower/faster... that's my cue.

The best part of that job is I get to wear a headset. But, it can also be confusing because I can never tell if the director is talking to me, or to someone in the control room.

A couple days later for our next show I was in charge of tapes. Tapes contain all the reporters' stories. News packages are what take up most of the time on a newscast, and I was in charge of all of them. If tapes aren't done right the whole newscast could be a total failure. It was a little intimidating because the tapes had to be cued in the right spot and put on the air at the right time, but I think I nailed it!

There's nothing like the anticipation minutes... even seconds before you're supposed to go on the air. It's so nerve racking. I've noticed that when I get nervous my feet sweat. So random. And kinda gross.

Another one of my jobs was to announce the weather for our Cache Rendezvous show. Bad day. Reading from a teleprompter is HARD! Especially when you're standing in bright sunshine. Add to that a contact that was not happy being in my eye. It looked like I was crying because my contact was irritating my eye so much. And then I bombed at reading from the teleprompter. I felt like a wind up monkey toy... or a CD that kept skipping. It was not a good experience. I never want to watch that weather forecast ever again.

I must practice reading from a teleprompter.

This is a work in progress.

I feel like I'm making slow progress.

Progress... hurry up!

No comments:

Post a Comment