Friday, April 10, 2009

Historic clock

When I was home this past weekend... my family left me while they went to my brother's track meet. I was all alone and I was bored. So I pulled out my camera and wandered the house.

I remember this clock being very central in our house. My dad brought it back from Holland after he served his mission there some thirty-plus years ago. It has always hung in the same spot, behind my dad's recliner. Sadly, the furniture has been rearranged so it isn't behind the chair anymore.

I remember my dad pulling the chords and hearing the clock and its gears wind up again.

I remember hearing it chime every quarter hour while sitting on my dad's lap watching This Old House and The Joys of Painting with Bob Ross on Saturday mornings.

I remember tapping the chords and watching them swing just a little bit. I don't think I was supposed to touch the clock.

It doesn't chime anymore. I don't remember why or when it stopped, but, I think the chime of the clock left with the physical presence of my dad.

This may be a weird analogy, but since I've always connected that clock with my dad, I will always associate the working clock with the presence of my dad. I think that's why it has never been fixed.

I probably have the story of the clock wrong, I've never asked about it and don't know why. But, that's how I've always interpreted it.

These aren't as good of pictures as I would have liked to get of this clock. They're kind of blurry. I was balancing on the arm of the couch to get high enough to get this close. It was an odd position... I almost fell and caught myself by running into the wall. It scared my dog to death and he started barking uncontrollably. Silly dog!



1 comment:

  1. Oh Whitney! You are very perceptive... That is exactly why I've never fixed the clock. It just seemed that when Dad was gone, the clock shouldn't chime anymore. Maybe we should get it fixed for his birthday this year. I think he would like us to do that (at least sometime in the future...) Love you!

    ReplyDelete