Monday, April 6, 2009

Look What's Cookin'

The other day, my mom thought it would be a good idea to eat shoes for dinner. Yes, shoes. She even turned the oven on while they were in there.

Just kidding. She didn't think it would be a good idea. It was an honest mistake that she almost caught my shoes on fire.

At my house we have a second oven in our garage we don't use very often. I washed my shoes to make them look a little whiter and newer and my mom said to put them in the (then cold) oven so they could dry in a warm environment because our heater wasn't on.

I forgot they were in there, and I guess my mom had too because when I went out to take the trash out in the garage I smelled some sort of burning. It turned out to be my shoes. My mom started to preheat the oven to cook dinner.

I pulled my steaming shoes out of the oven and looked at the damage. They didn't look too bad except for they were more yellow than white, and the shoelaces started turning brown. A 400 degree oven doesn't do a whole lot of good for a pair of tennis shoes.

I went in to tell my mom and she gasped in horror! I can still see the look on her face and it's still funny to laugh about.

She promised to buy me new shoes. Thanks for making me laugh mom, and at least I get new shoes out of your mistake! :)


2 comments:

  1. Well Whit - what can I say? Now I can claim my meals are tough as shoe leather!?! Every time I've put shoes in there to dry (because of the pilot light) I lay awake wondering if I will forget they are there. Now I don't have to lose any sleep over it. I've done it, and maybe someday I'll have the T-shirt...
    Happy shoe shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe when I come home next I'll try drying my shoes in Moms oven - I need a new pair!

    ReplyDelete