Friday, February 27, 2009

In honor of Mi Madre...

Today, some half century ago... A child was born. My mother was that child. Since my mom is probably the only person that reads this blog, I wanted to OFFICIALLY, (but not REALLY officially, cuz I'll call you later when I get off work...) wish her a happy birthday.

I thought it would be appropriate to dedicate an ENTIRE blog post to her.

I want to tell you why I love my mom...

When I was four I probably wore the same outfit everyday that entire summer. It was my little white and red Levi's t-shirt with flowers on it. That's why I love my mom. She let me wear my favorite outfit as much as I wanted to.

Around the same time of my life as the "I-can't-wear-this-t-shirt-enough-phase" I was still reluctant to give up my binky. That's why I love my mom.

Until I turned 8 or 9 my mom would put my hair in sponge curlers on Saturday night so my hair would be curly for church the next day. I loved my curls. That's why I love my mom.

One of my favorite activities when I was little was to play with play dough. Not the kind you buy from the store, but the homemade kind. Every time my little heart desired she would whip out the ingredients and mix them all together. Then, she would let me help roll it out and mix the colors in. That's why I love my mom.

Last year, my mom had a lot on her plate. Melyn was getting ready to go to China and I was getting ready to move up to Utah State. The day after she helped Melyn pack her suitcases wave her off at the airport she helped me load all my crap in my car and her car and moved me up to Utah State. That's why I love my mom. She's a trooper.

Every Valentines Day and Halloween she makes the best sugar cookies in the world, frosts them all cute, and sends them to me wherever I am. That's why I love my mom.

Whenever I go home for the weekend she asks me what I want to eat, and she makes it for me even if it's the randomest meal ever.. like real potatoes mashed with sour cream and lots of butter, or a flat omelet with no cheese and no pepper, or Double Tree Inn chocolate chip cookies freshly baked... whatever it is, she makes it for me. That's why I love my mom.

When all I want to do is sit at home and watch movies, she'll sit on the couch next to her lamp and knit something while we watch movies, when she probably wants to get out of the house and go somewhere. That's why I love my mom.

When she looks at the caller i.d. and sees that it's me calling AGAIN, she answers anyway. That's why I love my mom.

This post could go on and on because there are a million reasons why I love my mom. These reasons are just a sampling. I love you mom... Happy Birthday!!

*Oh, another thing... check out her blog! Great recipes and advice from an experienced chef!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my heck Whitney - you make me sound like a saint (NOT), but I'm glad you think so... I love you too - thanks for doing all those things with me - I actually love playing with my kids...

    ReplyDelete