Saturday, February 28, 2009

Signs of Spring

I broke out my camera today, and it just renewed my love for photography. The possibilities are endless and that's what I love about it... you can do anything. Me and my roommate, Kristen, went up Logan canyon and explored around 2nd Dam. Even though the sun is shining, it's colder than it looks.


This one has is of a really cool tree trunk that has lots of knots on the surface, and I'm just focusing on the branches in the foreground. I liked how I could see the mountain in the background with very little snow!


We found some rose petals on the ground right be the water. Our philosophy is that some cute guy asked his girlfriend to marry him on this spot sometime recently. Don't you think Kristen's shoes are so cute?! I want them. Forever Young is the best!


Believe it or not, this Coca Cola can was just sitting in the water. Yes, it's in water. Don't you love how the water is so clear?! That can doesn't even look opened... I wonder how the soda would taste. Don't worry, I won't try it. I don't like Coke to begin with.


This one I shot across the water with my telephoto lens. Those bumps that look like rocks... yeah, they're ducks. I liked how rich the colors looked.


This is just a very long shot. The water looks so clear and calm. Too bad it's only February and the water is still freezing. It looks so warm and inviting and I wanted to jump in! This shot is a little blurry, but I liked it anyway.

In Logan it looks like spring is getting closer and closer every day. It hasn't snowed in weeks, and I've been able to wear jackets to school and not coats. It makes me happy because I hate walking around campus feeling like a marshmallow because of all the layers I have to wear to keep warm. Also, I've seen the sun more days in a row than I have seen it total in the past couple of weeks. Cache Valley doesn't have the icky inversion/pollution crap in the air anymore, which makes it easier to breath, and my eyes aren't irritated either.

In my Online Journalism class (the very class that inspired/forced this blog to come about), our next project is a photo essay. The only guidelines we have are "Signs of Spring". Any suggestions or advice you have would be greatly appreciated!

1 comment:

  1. Whit - try looking for anything "sprouting" - maybe a blade or two of grass (or even a weed) Focus on the very BEGINNING of anything coming up out of the ground in an otherwise DEAD place. Even better would be something sprouting out of the snow or ice (probably in the canyon...)

    ReplyDelete